Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"The Concert for New York City" - Various Artists

Back in, I believe November or December 2001 after the World Trade Center attacks Paul McCartney organized this massive benefit concert featuring some of the best musicians of all time. I watched the nearly all day long TV coverage of the event on VH1 which I video taped. The actual concert was nearly eight hours long in its original live showing but it was very life affirming and uplifting to see all these Firefighters and Police Officers in the middle of all this sadness, celebrating life.

This double disc CD does capture that feeling but not as well as the film version. This CD captures basically a majority of the music performers but no double disc collection could capture all the music as each performer did three or more songs. Overall I prefer the original live coverage because it kept all the unplanned events in there. The DVD of the concert has been edited down and feels far too slick for me. I bought this CD and I have not listened to it since 2001 or 2002. I am happy that my money went to the Robin Hood Relied Fund though. The album is more a historical document that helps me to remember a moment in history when Rock and Roll saved some people's world and helped ease their pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment