Friday, September 17, 2010

Bu La'ia - "False Crack???"

Back in the 1995 Bu La'ia (Boo La E ah) was a massively popular comedian from Hawaii. He gained a large amount of local fame for about three or four years with his fizzy hair and blacked out front tooth. He also always wore a black t-shirt and board shorts (swim trunks made for surfing) and slippers (flip flops). He is best known for performing comedy in the Hawaii pidgin/English dialect. His comedy routines often focused on the differences between caucasians and local (particularly Hawaiian) people. He starred in a low budget Hawaii cable show and released this his first comedy album.

A lot of the album focuses on parody songs in which Bu makes up new lyrics to well known songs such as, "Sweet Home Waimanalo," "Day Old, Day Old Poi" and "B-R-A Bu Rap Attack." Most of the tracks are rather witty if sometimes a bit crude. The material is funny but most likely will only appeal to Hawaii locals as many of the slang phrases used will probably only be understood by locals.

I got this album as a gift one year when I was in elementary school. It was the album to have in 1995 I think almost everyone in my class got this album. Its still very funny but I don't really listen to it anymore but it is good to have kind of a time capsule to my youth. I think that is what albums should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment