Monday, January 16, 2012

Emmylou Harris - "Pieces of the Sky"

This is a recent purchase of mine and I will return to my alphabetical posts on my next posting (Billy Joel Glass Houses).

I had been listening to John Denver's song "Wild Montana Sky" which Emmylou Harris duets on. Then I also watched The Band's "Last Waltz" film which Harris appears in. So I began researching her and this album sounded great in the music samples and it was on sale at my local Barnes and Noble so I picked it up.

This is a very excellent album, equal parts folk, country and pop. Harris has a beautiful angelic voice and an ear for good sounds. There is a nice nod toward Appalachian sounds as well as pop climate ("Coat of Many Colors" and "For No One") and old fashioned bar room country ("Bluebird Wine" and "Queen of the Silver Dollar").

There are also some songs that connect life with the natural world around us, the Gram Parsons tribute "Boulder to Birmingham" and "Before Believing." This last aspect made this album feel like a more countrified John Denver, now I am not sure about her other works but this one to me has a very Denver feel.

I will say this is a very good album, but if you do not like country or folk you should stay away. From my research, however, this is supposedly Harris' most open album even if it is not her most praised. The 2004 CD reissue adds two previously unissued bonus tracks and a wonderful booklet.

No comments:

Post a Comment