Friday, January 21, 2011

Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Chronicle"

Creedence Clearwater Revival (excellent band name), although they were from San Francisco epitomized and perfected Southern Rock and Roll like no other band. John Fogerty the lead singer, lead guitarist and chief songwriter steered the band to the top of the charts in the late 1960s and early 70s before leaving the group. There also turned out to be a huge rift between Fogerty and the rest of the band which has prevented any type of reunion.

None the less the band has a vast legacy and a number of stellar songs. I first got "Chronicle," it is sometimes listed as "Vol. 1" because they later released a second volume, anyway I was at Tower Records and they had one copy and the back insert with the track listing was inserted upside down. At the time I did not know you could simply pop open the CD tray and flip the paper right side up so I did not buy it. I went back to the store several times for other albums and would look at this CD but it was always the same upside down one. Eventually I just bought that one and even though I eventually found out how to open the CD tray I have left the insert upside down. I now think it is kind of cool, like I purchased a one of a kind disc. Sometimes it is troublesome when you flip the case over to look up a song and I have to turn one more time to get in right side up, but that is minor.

Anyway on to the compilation itself. This is basically a perfect compilation of Creedence, the only song that I would have liked on this disc is "Born on the Bayou" but it is on the second volume. The compilation contains all nineteen hit songs that the group released plus an 11 minute version of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine." Every song that Creedence is known for is on this compilation from "Fortunate Son" to "Who'll Stop the Rain." The songs really show how good a band Creedence was and how excellent a songwriter Fogerty was/is. He could write catchy deep meaningful lyrics and strong melodies as well as focus on social issues truly a great songwriter. The perfect disc for new fans or interested parties and actually only the die hard fans will want the original albums; most will only need this disc and its companion second volume. "Chronicle Vol. 2" focuses solely on album tracks. "Chronicle" is an excellent compilation of a really good band, there are decent liner notes: a short paragraph about the group and then facts about the albums and a time line. I am glad I purchased this album and glad I have a silly story to tell about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment