Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Beatles "The White Album"

After the psychedelic excesses, particularly of Magical Mystery Tour, The Beatles return to a more rock based sound. They have not completely abandoned excess though, as this is their only double album. Many have often argued that this would work better as a single album. I will admit half the album is superb while half is often near parody and sometimes downright silly. I don't know in my opinion even the seemingly throwaway songs are quite enjoyable. In fact this is my second favorite Beatles album, after Abbey Road.

As history has shown us the group was splintering and wanting to go in their own directions by the time this album was being recorded. Ringo quit the group for a period during the recording sessions. The album does have a bit of a scattered feel as the Fab Four perform in every style they can think of from rock to country to 1930s pop. The four Beatles individual musical tastes really come through and many of the tracks seem like they were recorded without the input of each other. Many of the songs feature one Beatle on lead and it is hard to discern if the others were involved and if the others are involved they often act as backup. A number of McCartney's song seem to be him alone with an acoustic guitar. Most of the songs are Lennon and McCartney tunes but Harrison gets in four tracks, including "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," and Ringo gives us his first song writing with "Don't Pass Me By."

I think that is why I like this album each member gets to show his own interests and they run all through the face of music. There are also some spectacular songs here. Heck I recommend this album I think its great.

No comments:

Post a Comment